Monday, November 2, 2009

England, finally!

I was supposed to be doing this a long long time ago, but I guess I've been having too much fun to bother! Well, here I am, finally in England, after dreaming about coming here for most of my life. Why, you ask? I'm not sure, really, but the most probable reason would be the staple diet of Enid Blyton books that I was brought up on as a child.

The England I see and experience today is no less fascinating. There's no other way to describe the feeling.... its just so very English! I suppose what struck me the most was this connection - almost like I knew I was going to come here, at least once in my life.

Millenium Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne

Newcastle, my home for the next one year (hopefully for longer than that!), is one of the most beautiful cities in England. After Mumbai, its also very small - I can walk almost everywhere! When I mentioned this to Alina, my friend and classmate from Salzburg in Austria, her reaction was, "Really? This is so big compared to Salzburg!"

Just 15 minutes away by metro is South Shields and the coast - the cold cold North Sea. Apart from being my first trip, it was also when I realised the English obsession with the weather, and for good reason! We went on a beautiful day, when the sun was out and the rain stayed away.

Anil, Susanne, Phillip, Divyank and me at South Shields

South Shields beach

Ruins of the Priory on North Shields

Durham was next, one of the most ancient cities in England, and Alnwick Castle and the market town of Rothbury soon after.

Durham Cathedral

Alnwick Castle and the River Aln

My plans of turning this blog into a travelogue of sorts have had to be put aside, thanks to the growing mountain of assignments that I'd conveniently ignored so far, but this is a start and I do intend to write about it. So here's to more travelling in England!

5 comments:

Sid said...

Oye...Nice makeover to your blog! Good going Sammy...you can do what I was supposed to do but didnt :D

Sam said...

Thanks Sid! You still haven't given me feedback on my writing, though... come on! I wrote it at 3am, give me some opinion! :)

Sid said...

3 AM?! Ahh...that sounds familiar...Sam, I think you write best at odd hours :D. "cold cold" is a very apt description indeed. Its almost as if these places need to be seen in gloomy weather... Very nice flow - it took me a minute to realise you had actually covered four places(which is another way of saying zis is too short! Spend more time on each place Sam - at this rate you'd have covered England in five articles!)

It's definitely the Enid Blyton ;)

Sid said...

Ah, forgot to mention...the pictures go wonderfully well with the text.. Considering that each of them is worth atleast a 1000 words, they do speak for themselves!

Sam said...

I changed it. In my defense, it was 3am! The sleep deprived do make mistakes at such times! :D And yes, I do intend to write in detail about each of the places I've visited, and no, don't worry, my stay in England will not be like a twitter blog!